Improving Delivery Models showcases proven infrastructure delivery improvements made by governments and industry under the six themes of:
- Capability and capacity - Improving organisational ability to adequately plan, deliver, operate, and maintain quality infrastructure
- Cooperation - Partnering with other connected parties to achieve improved shared outcomes
- Efficiency - Optimising delivery to maximises outcomes
- Finance - Identifying and securing funding and financing of infrastructure
- Risk - Ensuring that risk in delivery is adequately planned, managed and allocated appropriately
- Sustainability - Considering the environmental sustainability impact infrastructure can provide.
Core components of this initiative are: Delivery Challenges and Improvements Framework; Contractual Models Overview; case studies and key references.
Delivery Challenges and Improvements Framework
The functions of the framework are to:
- Identify key infrastructure delivery challenges under six themes. These challenges existed prior to COVID-19 and their impact has been heightened as a result of the pandemic.
- Detail a selection of proven improvements to infrastructure delivery. The improvements span all infrastructure phases, and aim to strengthen planning and procurement through key enabling capabilities, behaviours, processes, and critical outcomes.
- Showcase infrastructure delivery improvements that are independent of the delivery model used. The initiative doesn’t promote one form of infrastructure delivery model, instead it outlines improvements that could be implemented independent of the infrastructure delivery model.
Delivery Models Overview
The overview describes the key functional differences between delivery models and provides guidance on circumstances to which each model is most suited. The number of infrastructure delivery models is constantly increasing, as hybrid models are designed and deployed. We outline the common models identified by the World Bank, describe their differences, and summarise appropriateness for various circumstances.
The case studies include projects worldwide, and can be filtered by region and other characteristics.
The key reference section is a compilation of guidance documents and other resources developed by governments and organisations worldwide to improve infrastructure delivery. Given the increasing number of relevant resources being created, we have brought these together in one library for quick and easy reference.